Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Solution


We as a country may never find a real solution but unless here there is always room for a discussion, Indigenous people can have a say and are heard, we are a democratic society where together we can see the bigger picture and find ways to find benefit for both sides.

My solution would be that access to the foreshore and seabed would be open but with the condition that Maori customary and ownership title could be assumed through treaty settlement. As I feel that honoring the Treaty is a social justice issue, then Maori should be able to do that so long as the profits of any economic activity so derived from the foreshore and seabed are democratically controlled and collectively shared amongst ordinary whanau, hapu and iwi members in order to provide sustainable jobs and income. I would even favor (if it was possible) joint Crown-Maori ownership of the foreshore and seabed. This concept was discussed during the original debate but was shot down as an option but for me this would be the happy medium that desperately New Zealand is looking for.

3 comments:

  1. I can understand their plight, and the reasons behind it. But as Daniel mentioned in your previous entry, without the British colonization would we really have the NZ we have today? However, I also have to side with you in that some people tend have a racist attitude concerning Maori, especially in cases where an indigenous Maori would own land. In my opinion, a solution is nowhere in the foreseeable future, the battle for ownership is never ending between the Crown and Maori and has been for as long as I can remember. For a pacific islander born and bred here in NZ, I have somewhat of a neutral stance on the matter. It might have been a good idea to post a link, or the actual video itself to Tariana Turias interview regarding her opinion on Foreshore and Seabed. On the whole your article was really well written, and your argument is quite clear and concise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Belinda, yeah I wasnt born here either and I think I have a parcial opinion on this issue as well, What would it be of NZ without the Brittish colonization? I think NZ would be a paradise! I dont thing maori people ever needed McDonalds hehehe... they had they own goverment, education sistem and a way of living...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I think all countries could've done without fastfood franchises :D
    It is good though to see that they have implemented Maori language more onto printed media as well as tv.

    ReplyDelete